History Unit 4 Coursework Define

Helpful Hints:
  • You must fill in your Colleges Attended section before completing this section.
  • Enter ALL of your courses, even if they do not fulfill a pharmacy prerequisite or you repeated them.
  • Get a personal copy of your official transcript from your registrar’s office to help you fill out your coursework section. Sometimes course titles and prefixes can be different on unofficial transcripts.
  • Enter courses chronologically, beginning with the oldest and ending with the most recent.
  • Use the transcript from the school where the course was originally taken, even if the credits transferred to another institution.
  • Report ALL coursework completed at regionally accredited U.S. institutions exactly as it appears on your transcript.

Step-by-Step Coursework Entry Instructions

1. Add your first term

Your entire coursework section will be organized by term. Each semester, quarter, trimester and unit is considered a separate session. Before you enter any course, you will need to add your first session by clicking on You will click on this button for EVERY semester, quarter, trimester or unit you have attended college. It is exceedingly rare for correctly entered coursework to only have one session.

2. Fill in information about your first term at this school.

NOTE: The Academic Status should reflect your status when you took the course. This is not your current status.

3. Enter your first course as it is listed on your official transcript. Click “Save” when complete

Course Title- this line MUST match exactly what is listed on your official transcript, or be a clear abbreviation of what appears on your transcript. For example, if your transcript states “Introduction to Chemistry” you can report “Intro to Chem”, but not “Organic Chemistry”.

Course Prefix and Number -this line should have TWO pieces of information in it: the course prefix (usually a shortened form of the department’s name) and the course number.

Course Level- Refer to the back of your transcript to determine whether the course number of this course would be considered lower division (sometimes called freshman/sophomore level) or upper division (junior/senior level). This section may be different than your Academic Status at the time.

Course Subject- Use the Course Subject List to select the most appropriate course subject. Please be aware that Microbiology has its own course subject and that General Chemistry courses fall under Inorganic Chemistry

Course Type- If you took a science course, you will need to specify whether it is a lab course, a lecture course, or a class that consisted of both lab and lecture. You can only fill in this section if the course subject is one of the subjects calculated into the Science GPA.

Grade as it appears on the transcript- Again, this has to match your transcript exactlyNumber of credit hours- In this section, you should enter the credit hours the course was worth, regardless of the grade you received in the course. Usually this value is 3.0 or 4.0 for a full credit course.

Special Classification- Select the most appropriate answer from the dropdown menu. The majority of your courses will be classified as “Not Applicable”. Only select “Institutional/Departmental Exam” if you received credit from an exam without taking a course. For example, if you tested out of a language requirement, and this appears on your official transcript with the number of credits you received, this would be listed as “Institutional/Departmental Exam”.

4. Click on “Add Course” to enter your next course. Repeat this step for as many courses as you took during that term.
5. Click on the “Add New Session” button to start the process for your next term!


Checking Coursework

PharmCAS will verify your self-reported courses against your official transcripts and will report any discrepancies to your selected pharmacy institutions. You MUST enter in your coursework yourself.

If you make a few typographical errors, these will be corrected for you during the verification process. PharmCAS will return your application to you for corrections or explanation if it identifies a significant number of course discrepancies or omissions. If you fail to properly enter all of your courses when you first submit your application or do not make corrections as requested, your application will be delayed in processing and you may jeopardize your chances for admission.

Entering Special Types of Coursework

Advanced Placement Credits

Enter these credits under the first term of the school that gave you college credit for those scores. You should enter them as closely to your official transcript as you can. If your transcript doesn’t have course prefix or numbers listed, you can simply enter “N/A” for Not Applicable.  Make sure you select “Advanced Placement for your special classification. Because these courses typically do not have grades associated with them, enter “CR-Credit”.

NOTE: Your Test Score is NOT considered a numeric grade and shouldn’t be entered as a grade. If you know your AP score, please feel free to enter it under “Test Score”.

Courses Taken in High School/Dual Enrollment

Even if you never physically attended a college campus, if you received credit from an institution for course taken during high school you will need to enter that school on your application, send an official transcript and enter that coursework on your application. There is even a special classification in the coursework section you can use to designate that a particular course was taken while you were in high school

Coursework Taken Overseas

Study Abroad

List all Study Abroad courses that appear on a U.S. Transcript with itemized grades and credit hours in the “Coursework” section. For each Study Abroad course, select the name of the U.S. institution in which the Study Abroad credit and grades appear. If the U.S. transcript does not itemize the grades and/or credits for study abroad, follow the policies for international (foreign) coursework below.

International (Foreign) Institution

Do NOT list any international (foreign) courses completed outside of a U.S. institution in this Coursework section. Consult PharmCAS instructions on how to submit international transcripts, including all Canadian transcripts.

Overseas U.S. Institution

If you attended a PharmCAS-recognized overseas U.S. institution, list all courses attempted and credits earned in this section. PharmCAS will consider course work from an overseas U.S. institution in the same manner as U.S. coursework. For a list of overseas U.S. institutions, review the transcript instructions under “General Instructions”.
 Repeated Courses

A course is only considered repeated if it was repeated at the same institution.

NOTE: The images below have been generated to show the repeat policy. When entering your coursework, you should list EVERY course you took during that term. It is rare for applicants to have terms with only a single course within them.

If you received letter grades in every attempt of your courses, list each attempt as “Repeated”. Be sure to list the full amount of credits for each attempt.

If you withdrew from a course and then repeated a course, leave the withdrawn course as “Not Applicable”, but select “Repeated” for the second attempt. List the full amount of credits for each attempt.

Planned/In Progress Courses

Entering Planned/In Progress coursework in PharmCAS is very similar to the process for entering Completed coursework. When entering your term, select “Planned/In Progress”

When this has been done correctly, you will be presented with a course entry page that does not ask you to specify a grade for this course.

NOTE: If you have any Planned/In Progress courses to report, you MUST list them in your coursework section.

Expand All FAQ Questions

 Q: I took some courses over a decade ago. Do I still have to enter these courses?

A: YES! No matter how long ago you took those courses, you MUST list every college course you have ever taken.

Q: Why do I have to enter all of my courses?

A: You must enter all of your U.S. courses on your PharmCAS application because it…

  • Allows PharmCAS to automatically generate 20+ different GPAs using standardized criteria and calculations.
  • Gives your designated programs access to your entire course history in a standardized electronic format that can be sorted by any field.
  • Eliminates the need for programs to decipher different transcript formats.
  • Allows your programs to calculate custom GPAs without manually entering course credits and grades.
  • Provides PharmCAS with a mechanism to collect additional information about your course history that is not (typically) on transcripts, such as the course subjects, student status at the time each course taken (e.g., freshman), and test scores for AP, IB, and CLEP credit.
  • Eliminates the need for PharmCAS staff to manually enter all courses which would increase cost to apply and the average processing time by weeks or months.

Q: I took summer courses. Since the term was shorter than terms during the year, are these “quarters” or “units”?

A: No. In the vast majority of cases, all of your term types are going to be the same at any school, unless you attended a school  which changed calendar types during your enrollment. Quarter hours are automatically converted into semester hours in the GPA calculations by multiplying the number of quarter hours by .667. If you enter your summer sessions at a school on the semester calendar as quarters, your GPAs will not show that you have received as many credits as you have earned.

Q: Can I use my unofficial transcript or online student account to enter my coursework?

A: PharmCAS recommends you obtain an official transcript from every institution you have attended to help you enter in your coursework, because course prefixes and course titles can sometimes be reported differently than on the official transcript.  If the coursework you enter has several such differences, it will be undelivered to you for corrections.

Q: I have attended two colleges. Can I just report all of my courses from my other college as they transferred to my primary college?

A:No. You have to use the transcript from the original school which granted you those credits in order to show the most accurate information to your degree programs:

  • Not all courses can transfer over from one school to another, and some courses might be left off of your transfer credits.
  • When courses show as transfer credits, the grades or credits might not be what you originally earned
  • Often, schools will show the closest equivalent to the course offered at their school rather than the original title, prefix or number of the course.

Q: Do I need to include all of my courses on my PharmCAS application?

A: Yes. All previous coursework taken at regionally accredited U.S. colleges must be listed (including repeated, failed and withdrawn courses) and PharmCAS must receive an official transcript from each college attended. Applications that do not include all courses listed on their transcripts will be put on hold until the discrepancy is resolved with PharmCAS.

Q: Do I need to include courses taken at foreign institutions?

A: NO, you should not enter any coursework taken at non-accredited, non-U.S. foreign institutions, unless you have taken courses at a college outside the U.S. as part of a Study Abroad program. If you have taken courses at a college outside the U.S. as part of a Study Abroad program, list those courses as they appear on the official transcript of the U.S. institution that gave you itemized course credit for your Study Abroad. However, if the U.S. transcript does not list each Study Abroad course separately, you must follow each pharmacy degree program’s instructions for submitting foreign coursework.

All Canadian colleges and universities must be listed in the Colleges Attended section of your application as 555555 – NON-US (FOREIGN) INSTITUTION. Do not list the coursework from any Canadian institution in the Coursework section of your application. PharmCAS can only accept and forward official evaluations of coursework taken outside the U.S.

NOTE: Transcripts from foreign institutions must be evaluated by one of the five transcript evaluation services listed in the application tutorial and sent to PharmCAS. PharmCAS will forward copies of official foreign coursework evaluations to all of your designated pharmacy schools once they are received at PharmCAS.

Q: How can I update my coursework?

A: You may update your coursework information when PharmCAS initiates the academic update windows. You will receive an e-mail notification when this window is available. The Fall Academic Update window will open on December 15, 2016, following the completion of the Fall 2016 term, and close on February 15, 2017. Arrange for your official Summer 2016 and Fall 2016 transcripts to be sent directly to PharmCAS as soon as they are available and no later than February 15, 2017. If you do not submit your updated courses and transcripts in a timely manner, your selected pharmacy schools may no longer consider you for admission. You cannot make edits to your course work section, whether completed or planned / in-progress, until the Academic Update window is open. Please refer to the Academic Update section of the Instructions for more information regarding the Fall and Spring Academic Update.

Q: What do the terms “Academic Bankruptcy” and “Freshman Forgiveness” mean?

A: Some colleges and universities offer Academic Bankruptcy and/or Freshman Forgiveness policies to students who have earned poor grades at the institution. If you are not familiar with these types of academic amnesty policies, they probably do not apply to you or your transcripts. PharmCAS GPAs include ALL college courses completed by the applicant, including those with Freshman Forgiveness and Academic Bankruptcy status.

Freshman Forgiveness: Some institutions allow students to repeat courses taken during the freshman year in which a grade of D or F (or incomplete) was earned. The institution only uses the second grade in the calculation of the cumulative grade point average. Generally, the grades/credits for both attempts appear on the transcript. Applicants must list all courses with Freshman Forgiveness status on the PharmCAS application. Academic Bankruptcy is similar to Freshman Forgiveness. This policy usually applies to all coursework taken at the institution, including courses with A, B, and C grades and those taken after the freshman year. It “wipes” the student’s academic record clean as far as the institution is concerned. Generally, the bankrupted coursework remains on the transcript; but it is not counted in the transcript’s GPA calculation and does not count toward the student’s degree requirements. Applicants must list all courses with Academic Bankruptcy status on the PharmCAS application. All Freshman Forgiveness and Academic Bankruptcy courses WILL BE calculated in your PharmCAS GPA. Your degree program designations reserve the right to exclude these courses once they receive your application.

Mark Angelini November 26, 2010 AP Government Unit 4 Study Guide 1. What is the definition of a political party? How is it a faction? How are parties different than interest groups? What is the key term in the definition of political party? A political party is a group that seeks to elect candidates to public office. It is a faction because a faction is a group of people with similar beliefs and ideas. Members of a political party usually share the same ideas and beliefs concerning our country. Political parties differ from interest groups in that they tend to focus on all areas of political interest, while interest groups tend to be strongly focused on one aspect such as civil rights or education. The key term in political party’s definition is group because the party cannot be run by separate individuals, but rather it must be run by a group with a common interest and goal. 2. Why are U.S. political parties more decentralized than European parties? What effect does decentralization have on U.S. political parties? U.S. political parties are more decentralized than European parties because in Europe, the only way to run for an office is to be nominated by a party leader. However, in the United States one can run for office as long as they meet the qualifications stated in the Constitution. Decentralization makes the government more open to the people and more of a federal system in which everyone gets a say and everyone is represented, rather than the leaders controlling everything. 3. In most states, how are candidates for office chosen? In most states, candidates for office are chosen by voters in primary elections. The party does not choose the candidate, though it can often manipulate who runs in the primary. In the end the people choose the candidate. 4. How did the Founding Fathers view political parties/factions? Does the Constitution say anything regarding political parties? The founding fathers were anti political parties and factions. The Constitution does not say anything about political parties. 5. Why did party conventions emerge during the Jacksonian era? Party conventions emerged during the Jacksonian era because of the massive increase of voters during his presidency. When running for reelection, there were well over one million voters participating.

0 thoughts on “History Unit 4 Coursework Define

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *