Essay on Littering
1018 Words5 Pages
Littering is not a new issue. In fact, littering has been an ongoing topic that has seen both periods of great attention and periods of neglect. A period of great attention being the 1970s, featuring Iron Eyes Cody, the "crying Indian," in the Keep America Beautiful commercial. During this time efforts were made to curb litter, and, as the title suggests, improve the appearance of the nation. Currently, the matter of littering is less prevalent. Reasons for this are debatable, but other concerns such as the economy and the state of international affairs certainly have an impact. This does not mean, however, that littering is any less of a relevant subject now as opposed to in the past. The common belief is that litter is a negative…show more content…
Two of the five types of people in regards to litter, as identified by the EPA, fit into this category. "Ignorants" are individuals who are unaware of the association between their littering habits and the condition of the environment. "Inconvenients" are those who feel that not littering is too difficult, too much trouble, and that their litter is someone else's problem (EPA Litter Home Page). Both types of people are detrimental to the environment in their own respects. At the surface, the negative result of littering is the unpleasant appearance it leaves behind. Below this impact are maintenance concerns. Collection and disposal of litter exceeds the cost of $120 million every year, calling upon maintenance forces at the expense of other activities (Andres 1). At the bottom and perhaps the most unsettling, at least to some, are the underlying causes and effects of litter. Has society gotten so inept that it cannot even keep itself presentable and therefore must spend its money on doing so rather than on more preferable pursuits? The fact that so many people are in fact so incompetent is disturbing. Not everyone is so incompetent, though. There are those who just do not care.
There are many who "do not care" about the state of littering. These are not necessarily bad people; these are not necessarily lazy people. These are people who have either not been properly informed on the issue of
Ideas for an opinion essay
Littering in cities is an increasing problem which needs to be dealt with. Some people think that steeper fines is the best way to deal with the problem.
To what extent do you agree?
When you analyse a statement for an opinion essay, it is useful to ask yourself different questions regarding the topic. Think about the questions below and then decide your answer.
Questions for Analysis
- What is littering? AnswerDropping waste on the ground or in the streets rather than disposing of it correctly by putting it in the bin.
- Why do people litter?AnswerSome litter because they don’t care about the effects and some do it just for convenience.
- It is already an offence to throw litter in the streets so why do people continue to do it?AnswerMost people know it is wrong but they do it because they know they will not be caught.
- Would having a bigger fine stop them?AnswerIt is possible that a heavy fine might deter them but only if it is likely they will be caught and the fine imposed.
- Is having a bigger fine the best way to stop littering? AnswerIt’s one way to stop people but not everyone agrees that it is the best way.
- Are there other ways to stop littering? AnswerYes, one way is to put more bins in the streets so that people will use them rather than throw their litter on the floor. Educating children from a young age to dispose of their litter correctly is another way. Some people think that having more police on the streets would be a good deterrent because people will be less likely to attempt to litter the streets.
Now use your ideas and form them into an essay format. That means you should have two or three main ideas which are divided into two or three body paragraphs. After you have your essay ideas planned, check the model body paragraphs below. Can you write the introduction and conclusion for the model essay below?Model Body Paragraphs
Body Paragraph A: Having bigger fines is certainly one way to tackle the issue of littering. Increasing the fines will make people take littering more seriously. At present, many people litter the streets because they do not consider this to be a serious offence and for the convenience but by imposing a considerable penalty, people will think twice before they litter.
Body Paragraph B: However, the best way to deal with the problem of littering would be a long-term solution involving educating the younger generation. Littering is common due to the fact that many people are not fully aware of the environmental and health impacts that it has. By raising awareness and building a habit of disposing of waste correctly, this problem can be eradicated in coming generations.
Body Paragraph C: Finally, another possible solution would be to have more litter bins available to the public. The reason being that the majority of people littering the streets do so because there are no bins available to put their waste in and they do not wish to carry their rubbish with them until they find a bin. By having more bins available, it would not only be more convenient for people to dispose of their waste properly but it would also act as a reminder for them to do so.
Collection of Essay Ideas